Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Some administrative notes

Sorry about the long absence. Life happens, Internet outages happen. But I'm back in the saddle again.

I have changed the news box on the right a bit. Mostly what will appear there are the days best blog posts from SEC bloggers. As I update the box throughout the day, we will see some scroll off. I am trying to figure out a way to get better news as well, but the mission of this site is the Southeastern Conference bloggers, not promote big media. But I would like a better newsfeed than we currently have. I'm working on it. For now, really important stories will appear in the box as well, but mostly it will be great blog posts.

You will notice I maintain very few tags on this site. That is by design -- I currently have one for each SEC school, plus a couple more. I will probably be changing that just a bit over the next few weeks, but you can expect the tag list to be kept to a couple dozen at most. I hate big tag clouds, and I can never make sense of them, so I'm going to keep it short here.

The site will also be transitioning over to basketball coverage. I know there is still a lot going on in the football realm, and I am not going to ignore that. But basketball is now in full swing, and there will be gradually decreasing football news of note in the interregnum between now and the bowls.

Over the holidays, I hope to make a few small changes to our rather Spartan design, but not too much. I don't do pictures (I consider that to be a copyright violation without express permission) and don't do many graphics. This blog is all about content, and it is all about the hard-working SEC bloggers out there bringing us the great angles and insights on the news of the day. I know many of my readers have their own blogs, and I want this site to be about the great work they are doing.

Which brings me to another point -- What makes a great blog post? Well, like beauty, that is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. What I like is a fresh take, or some clever humor combined with real insight. I know that is vague, but bottom line, I like blog posts that are either:

  • very informative
  • very entertaining
  • very insightful, or
  • a combination of all three
If you think you have written something particularly good, or know of a great post I haven't listed or commented on, drop me a note and I'll look at it. I have to skim quite a bit. As you can see from the blogroll on the left, ther are lots and lots of SEC blogs, and every one you see is in my feed reader, and I go through that thing every day. So it is way more than possible for me to overlook something good.

As always, thanks for visiting the site and reading my drivel.

0 comments: